Manage operations at biomass power generation facilities. Direct work activities at plant, including supervision of operations and maintenance staff.
- Review logs, datasheets, or reports to ensure adequate production levels and safe production environments or to identify abnormalities with power production equipment or processes.
- Review biomass operations performance specifications to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Supervise biomass plant or substation operations, maintenance, repair, or testing activities.
- Prepare and manage biomass plant budgets.
- Supervise operations or maintenance employees in the production of power from biomass, such as wood, coal, paper sludge, or other waste or refuse.
- Monitor the operating status of biomass plants by observing control system parameters, distributed control systems, switchboard gauges, dials, or other indicators.
- Compile and record operational data on forms or in log books.
- Shut down and restart biomass power plants or equipment in emergency situations or for equipment maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
- Inspect biomass gasification processes, equipment, and facilities for ways to maximize capacity and minimize operating costs.
- Conduct field inspections of biomass plants, stations, or substations to ensure normal and safe operating conditions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $106,100 with most people making between $60,660 and $155,290
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 740 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 210 replacement openings for approximately 260 total annual openings.