Plan, direct, or coordinate human resources activities and staff of an organization.
- Negotiate bargaining agreements and help interpret labor contracts.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Advise managers on organizational policy matters, such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.
- Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
- Identify staff vacancies and recruit, interview and select applicants.
- Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of subordinates and staff relating to employment, compensation, labor relations, and employee relations.
- Plan, organize, direct, control, or coordinate the personnel, training, or labor relations activities of an organization.
- Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ESC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Recognition and Achievement in their jobs.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $110,170 with most people making between $65,090 and $162,770
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 479 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 31 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 171 total annual openings.
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Loan Counselors
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers