Plan, direct, or coordinate research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities at postsecondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and junior and community colleges.
- Placement Director
- Physics Department Chair
- Operations Vice President
- Operations Director
- Nursing Program Chair
- Natural Sciences Department Chair
- Music Department Chair
- Appoint individuals to faculty positions, and evaluate their performance.
- Direct activities of administrative departments, such as admissions, registration, and career services.
- Advise students on issues such as course selection, progress toward graduation, and career decisions.
- Direct, coordinate, and evaluate the activities of personnel, including support staff engaged in administering academic institutions, departments or alumni organizations.
- Recruit, hire, train, and terminate departmental personnel.
- Assess and collect tuition and fees.
- Participate in student recruitment, selection, and admission, making admissions recommendations when required to do so.
- Formulate strategic plans for the institution.
- Plan, administer, and control budgets, maintain financial records, and produce financial reports.
- Teach courses within their department.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $118,500 with most people making between $62,040 and $199,180
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 383 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 33 openings due to growth and about 111 replacement openings for approximately 144 total annual openings.
- Chief Executives
- Marketing Managers
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Financial Managers, Branch or Department
- Training and Development Managers
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates