Resolve disputes between workers and managers, negotiate collective bargaining agreements, or coordinate grievance procedures to handle employee complaints.
- Negotiate collective bargaining agreements.
- Present the position of the company or of labor during arbitration or other labor negotiations.
- Monitor company or workforce adherence to labor agreements.
- Write letters related to labor relations activities, such as letters to amend collective bargaining agreements, letters of dispute or conciliation, or letters to seek clarification of contract terms.
- Draft contract proposals or counter-proposals for collective bargaining or other labor negotiations.
- Call or meet with union, company, government, or other interested parties to discuss labor relations matters, such as contract negotiations or grievances.
- Interpret contractual agreements for employers and employees engaged in collective bargaining or other labor relations processes.
- Assess the impact of union proposals on company or government operations.
- Investigate and evaluate union complaints or arguments to determine viability.
- Recommend collective bargaining strategies, goals, or objectives.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $72,290 with most people making between $18,230 and $107,390
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 909 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 221 replacement openings for approximately 221 total annual openings.