Coordinate activities of staff, convention personnel, or clients to make arrangements for group meetings, events, or conventions.
- Catering and Convention Services Manager
- Catering Director
- Certified Meeting Professional
- Conference Manager
- Conference Organizer
- Conference Planner
- Conference Planning Manager
- Conference Producer
- Conference Reservationist
- Conference Service Coordinator
- Consult with customers to determine objectives and requirements for events, such as meetings, conferences, and conventions.
- Review event bills for accuracy and approve payment.
- Coordinate services for events, such as accommodation and transportation for participants, facilities, catering, signage, displays, special needs requirements, printing and event security.
- Arrange the availability of audio-visual equipment, transportation, displays, and other event needs.
- Confer with staff at a chosen event site to coordinate details.
- Inspect event facilities to ensure that they conform to customer requirements.
- Maintain records of event aspects, including financial details.
- Monitor event activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Negotiate contracts with such service providers and suppliers as hotels, convention centers, and speakers.
- Evaluate and select providers of services according to customer requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $45,350 with most people making between $21,350 and $71,090
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 526 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 69 openings due to growth and about 63 replacement openings for approximately 132 total annual openings.
- General and Operations Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Storage and Distribution Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors
- Travel Guides
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Real Estate Sales Agents