Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Agricultural Appraiser
- Auditor Appraiser
- Certified General Mass Real Estate Appraiser
- City Assessor
- Commercial Appraiser
- Commercial Real Estate Appraiser
- County Assessor
- County Tax Assessor
- Determine taxability and value of properties, using methods such as field inspection, structural measurement, calculation, sales analysis, market trend studies, and income and expense analysis.
- Inspect properties, considering factors such as market value, location, and building or replacement costs to determine appraisal value.
- Explain assessed values to property owners and defend appealed assessments at public hearings.
- Prepare and maintain current data on each parcel assessed, including maps of boundaries, inventories of land and structures, property characteristics, and any applicable exemptions.
- Inspect new construction and major improvements to existing structures to determine values.
- Establish uniform and equitable systems for assessing all classes and kinds of property.
- Issue notices of assessments and taxes.
- Write and submit appraisal and tax reports for public record.
- Complete and maintain assessment rolls that show the assessed values and status of all property in a municipality.
- Analyze trends in sales prices, construction costs, and rents, to assess property values or determine the accuracy of assessments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CEI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $65,290 with most people making between $30,030 and $115,800
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 292 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 34 openings due to growth and about 47 replacement openings for approximately 81 total annual openings.