Analyze science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to implement and improve computer systems. Analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems and review computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations. May analyze or recommend commercially available software.
- Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Use the computer in the analysis and solution of business problems, such as development of integrated production and inventory control and cost analysis systems.
- Use object-oriented programming languages, as well as client and server applications development processes and multimedia and Internet technology.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Review and analyze computer printouts and performance indicators to locate code problems, and correct errors by correcting codes.
- Confer with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
- Supervise computer programmers or other systems analysts or serve as project leaders for particular systems projects.
- Train staff and users to work with computer systems and programs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ICR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $80,080 with most people making between $47,750 and $121,060
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,064 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 655 openings due to growth and about 394 replacement openings for approximately 1,049 total annual openings.