Design, create, and modify Web sites. Analyze user needs to implement Web site content, graphics, performance, and capacity. May integrate Web sites with other computer applications. May convert written, graphic, audio, and video components to compatible Web formats by using software designed to facilitate the creation of Web and multimedia content.
- Write supporting code for Web applications or Web sites.
- Design, build, or maintain Web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools, and digital media.
- Back up files from Web sites to local directories for instant recovery in case of problems.
- Write, design, or edit Web page content, or direct others producing content.
- Select programming languages, design tools, or applications.
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
- Identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Develop databases that support Web applications and Web sites.
- Perform Web site tests according to planned schedules, or after any Web site or product revision.
- Perform or direct Web site updates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CIR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Programming - Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $71,900 with most people making between $44,950 and $109,010
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 645 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 785 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 24 openings due to growth and about 116 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
- Logistics Engineers
- Information Security Analysts
- Computer Network Architects
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Geographic Information Systems Technicians
- Petroleum Engineers
- Validation Engineers
- Energy Engineers