Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
- Advanced Manufacturing Vice President
- Automation Engineer
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Facility Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve manufacturing processes or products or to reduce costs, using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Incorporate new manufacturing methods or processes to improve existing operations.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Determine root causes of failures or recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods, using statistical procedures.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Recognition in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $91,180 with most people making between $49,940 and $134,600
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 347 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 17 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 87 total annual openings.
- Civil Engineers
- Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Validation Engineers
- Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technicians
- Robotics Technicians
- Environmental Engineering Technicians
- Electronics Engineering Technologists
- Manufacturing Engineering Technologists