Research, design, develop, or test automation, intelligent systems, smart devices, or industrial systems control.
- Applications Engineer
- Automation Application Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Automation Specialist
- Building Engineer
- Business Owner/Engineer
- Control Integration Engineer
- Controls Engineer
- Control Systems Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Design engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks.
- Create mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
- Maintain technical project files.
- Design, develop, or implement control circuits or algorithms for electromechanical or pneumatic devices or systems.
- Implement or test design solutions.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
- Design advanced electronic control systems for mechanical systems.
- Research, select, or apply sensors, communication technologies, or control devices for motion control, position sensing, pressure sensing, or electronic communication.
- Publish engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $98,440 with most people making between $52,790 and $141,720
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 347 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 17 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 87 total annual openings.