Apply theory and principles of environmental engineering to modify, test, and operate equipment and devices used in the prevention, control, and remediation of environmental problems, including waste treatment and site remediation, under the direction of engineering staff or scientist. May assist in the development of environmental remediation devices.
- Assist in the cleanup of hazardous material spills.
- Maintain project logbook records or computer program files.
- Record laboratory or field data, including numerical data, test results, photographs, or summaries of visual observations.
- Perform environmental quality work in field or office settings.
- Produce environmental assessment reports, tabulating data and preparing charts, graphs, or sketches.
- Collect and analyze pollution samples, such as air or ground water.
- Decontaminate or test field equipment used to clean or test pollutants from soil, air, or water.
- Prepare and package environmental samples for shipping or testing.
- Maintain process parameters and evaluate process anomalies.
- Inspect facilities to monitor compliance with regulations governing substances such as asbestos, lead, or wastewater.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $43,420 with most people making between $32,120 and $63,710
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 101 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 25 replacement openings for approximately 33 total annual openings.
- Environmental Compliance Inspectors
- Geodetic Surveyors
- Non-Destructive Testing Specialists
- Chemical Technicians
- Nuclear Monitoring Technicians
- Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health
- Precision Agriculture Technicians
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Radio Mechanics
- Avionics Technicians