Research and study the inheritance of traits at the molecular, organism or population level. May evaluate or treat patients with genetic disorders.
- Associate Genetics Professor
- Behavioral Geneticist
- Biochemical Genetics Laboratory Director
- Clinical Biochemical Geneticist
- Clinical Cytogeneticist
- Clinical Cytogenetics Director
- Clinical Geneticist
- Clinical Genetics Laboratory Chief
- Clinical Molecular Geneticist
- Clinical Molecular Genetics Laboratory Director
- Review, approve, or interpret genetic laboratory results.
- Evaluate, diagnose, or treat genetic diseases.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks that record research methods, procedures, and results.
- Write grants and papers or attend fundraising events to seek research funds.
- Attend clinical and research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current genetic research findings.
- Supervise or direct the work of other geneticists, biologists, technicians, or biometricians working on genetics research projects.
- Collaborate with biologists and other professionals to conduct appropriate genetic and biochemical analyses.
- Search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for genetic research goals.
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation at professional conferences or in scientific journals.
- Instruct medical students, graduate students, or others in methods or procedures for diagnosis and management of genetic disorders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Recognition, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $56,900 with most people making between $36,780 and $85,310
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 42 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 11 replacement openings for approximately 11 total annual openings.