Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, architectural features, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Study objects and structures recovered by excavation to identify, date, and authenticate them and to interpret their significance.
- Research, survey, or assess sites of past societies and cultures in search of answers to specific research questions.
- Write, present, and publish reports that record site history, methodology, and artifact analysis results, along with recommendations for conserving and interpreting findings.
- Describe artifacts' physical properties or attributes, such as the materials from which artifacts are made and their size, shape, function, and decoration.
- Present findings from archeological research to peers and the general public.
- Record the exact locations and conditions of artifacts uncovered in diggings or surveys, using drawings and photographs as necessary.
- Compare findings from one site with archeological data from other sites to find similarities or differences.
- Assess archeological sites for resource management, development, or conservation purposes and recommend methods for site protection.
- Create a grid of each site and draw and update maps of unit profiles, stratum surfaces, features, and findings.
- Collect artifacts made of stone, bone, metal, and other materials, placing them in bags and marking them to show where they were found.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Foreign Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of a foreign (non-English) language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and pronunciation.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $55,000 with most people making between $27,620 and $90,170
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 14 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 18 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 4 replacement openings for approximately 4 total annual openings.