Facilitate negotiation and conflict resolution through dialogue. Resolve conflicts outside of the court system by mutual consent of parties involved.
- Use mediation techniques to facilitate communication between disputants, to further parties' understanding of different perspectives, and to guide parties toward mutual agreement.
- Confer with disputants to clarify issues, identify underlying concerns, and develop an understanding of their respective needs and interests.
- Authorize payment of valid claims.
- Conduct hearings to obtain information or evidence relative to disposition of claims.
- Rule on exceptions, motions, or admissibility of evidence.
- Prepare settlement agreements for disputants to sign.
- Set up appointments for parties to meet for mediation.
- Prepare written opinions or decisions regarding cases.
- Interview claimants, agents, or witnesses to obtain information about disputed issues.
- Apply relevant laws, regulations, policies, or precedents to reach conclusions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $55,480 with most people making between $18,140 and $103,580
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 4 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 4 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Health Educators
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Instructional Coordinators
- Broadcast News Analysts