Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Actuarial Science Professor
- Actuarial Science Teacher
- Adjunct Faculty Mathematics Department
- Adjunct Instructor
- Adjunct Mathematics Instructor
- Adjunct Professor
- Algebra Teacher
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra, differential equations, and discrete mathematics.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
- Keep abreast of developments and technological advances in the mathematical field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $67,630 with most people making between $17,640 and $123,670
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 76 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 12 openings due to growth and about 13 replacement openings for approximately 25 total annual openings.
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Atmospheric, Earth, Marine, and Space Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary