Teach courses in health specialties, in fields such as dentistry, laboratory technology, medicine, pharmacy, public health, therapy, and veterinary medicine.
- Activity Therapy Teacher
- Adjunct Faculty for Medical Terminology
- Adjunct Instructor
- Anatomy Teacher
- Anesthesiology Teacher
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor Surgical Technology
- Associate Professor
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Athletic Trainer
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Supervise laboratory sessions.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $140,690
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 445 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 83 openings due to growth and about 79 replacement openings for approximately 162 total annual openings.
- Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary
- Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary