Create new dance routines. Rehearse performance of routines. May direct and stage presentations.
- Artistic Director
- Choreography Director
- Dance Director
- Dance Instructor
- Dance Master
- Dance Teacher
- Dancing Master
- Direct rehearsals to instruct dancers in how to use dance steps, and in techniques to achieve desired effects.
- Read and study story lines and musical scores to determine how to translate ideas and moods into dance movements.
- Design dances for individual dancers, dance companies, musical theatre, opera, fashion shows, film, television productions, and special events, and for dancers ranging from beginners to professionals.
- Choose the music, sound effects, or spoken narrative to accompany a dance.
- Advise dancers on how to stand and move properly, teaching correct dance techniques to help prevent injuries.
- Coordinate production music with music directors.
- Audition performers for one or more dance parts.
- Direct and stage dance presentations for various forms of entertainment.
- Develop ideas for creating dances, keeping notes and sketches to record influences.
- Train, exercise, and attend dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ASE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $47,350 with most people making between $26,980 and $62,530
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 6 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 6 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers
- Fashion Designers
- Interior Designers
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Broadcast News Analysts
- Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors