Engage in promoting or creating an intended public image for individuals, groups, or organizations. May write or select material for release to various communications media.
- Account Executive
- Account Supervisor
- Audience Coordinator
- Brand Advocate
- Campaign Manager
- Communications Assistant
- Communications Associate
- Communications Coordinator
- Communications Director
- Communications Manager
- Respond to requests for information from the media or designate an appropriate spokesperson or information source.
- Write press releases or other media communications to promote clients.
- Establish or maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, or public interest groups.
- Plan or direct development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public or stockholder perceptions of an organization's accomplishments, agenda, or environmental responsibility.
- Study the objectives, promotional policies, or needs of organizations to develop public relations strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas, products, or services.
- Coach client representatives in effective communication with the public or with employees.
- Update and maintain content posted on the Web.
- Confer with other managers to identify trends or key group interests or concerns or to provide advice on business decisions.
- Prepare or edit organizational publications, such as employee newsletters or stockholders' reports, for internal or external audiences.
- Coordinate public responses to environmental management incidents or conflicts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EAS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $62,260 with most people making between $36,110 and $96,840
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,085 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 74 openings due to growth and about 129 replacement openings for approximately 203 total annual openings.
- Marketing Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Postsecondary
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Training and Development Specialists
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Talent Directors
- Radio and Television Announcers