Provide advanced nursing care for patients in critical or coronary care units.
- Burn Center Nurse
- Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Registered Nurse
- Catheterization Laboratory Senior Manager (Cath Lab Senior Manager)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Critical Care Nurse Practitioner
- Critical Care Nurse Specialist
- Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN)
- Critical Care Unit Manager
- Critical Care Unit Nurse
- ICU Staff Nurse (Intensive Care Unit Staff Nurse)
- Evaluate patients' vital signs or laboratory data to determine emergency intervention needs.
- Monitor patients for changes in status and indications of conditions such as sepsis or shock and institute appropriate interventions.
- Administer medications intravenously, by injection, orally, through gastric tubes, or by other methods.
- Set up and monitor medical equipment and devices such as cardiac monitors, mechanical ventilators and alarms, oxygen delivery devices, transducers, or pressure lines.
- Assess patients' pain levels or sedation requirements.
- Conduct pulmonary assessments to identify abnormal respiratory patterns or breathing sounds that indicate problems.
- Monitor patients' fluid intake and output to detect emerging problems such as fluid and electrolyte imbalances.
- Document patients' medical histories and assessment findings.
- Prioritize nursing care for assigned critically ill patients, based on assessment data or identified needs.
- Compile and analyze data obtained from monitoring or diagnostic tests.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $64,510 with most people making between $45,770 and $83,480
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 12,212 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1,548 openings due to growth and about 2,881 replacement openings for approximately 4,429 total annual openings.