Stain, mount, and study cells to detect evidence of cancer, hormonal abnormalities, and other pathological conditions following established standards and practices.
- Certified Cytotechnologist
- Cytology Laboratory Manager (Cytology Lab Manager)
- Cytology Manager
- Cytology Supervisor
- Cytopathology Technologist
- Cytotechnologist/Cytology Supervisor
- Cytotechnologist Supervisor
- Submit slides with abnormal cell structures to pathologists for further examination.
- Examine cell samples to detect abnormalities in the color, shape, or size of cellular components and patterns.
- Provide patient clinical data or microscopic findings to assist pathologists in the preparation of pathology reports.
- Document specimens by verifying patients' and specimens' information.
- Prepare and analyze samples, such as Papanicolaou (PAP) smear body fluids and fine needle aspirations (FNAs), to detect abnormal conditions.
- Maintain effective laboratory operations by adhering to standards of specimen collection, preparation, or laboratory safety.
- Examine specimens using microscopes to evaluate specimen quality.
- Assist pathologists or other physicians to collect cell samples such as by fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsies.
- Assign tasks or coordinate task assignments to ensure adequate performance of laboratory activities.
- Adjust, maintain, or repair laboratory equipment such as microscopes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $58,530 with most people making between $34,570 and $78,440
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 616 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 63 openings due to growth and about 147 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.