Select and fit hearing aids for customers. Administer and interpret tests of hearing. Assess hearing instrument efficacy. Take ear impressions and prepare, design, and modify ear molds.
- Audiology Assistant
- Audiology Technician
- Board Certified Hearing Instrument Dispenser
- Board Certified Hearing Instrument Specialist
- Board Certified Hearing Instrument Specialist/Company President
- Board Certified in Hearing Instrument Sciences
- Certified Hearing Instrument Dispenser
- Hearing Aid Consultant
- Hearing Aid Dispenser
- Perform basic screening procedures, such as pure tone screening, otoacoustic screening, immittance screening, and screening of ear canal status using otoscope.
- Administer basic hearing tests including air conduction, bone conduction, or speech audiometry tests.
- Select and administer tests to evaluate hearing or related disabilities.
- Maintain or repair hearing aids or other communication devices.
- Train clients to use hearing aids or other augmentative communication devices.
- Create or modify impressions for earmolds and hearing aid shells.
- Diagnose and treat hearing or related disabilities under the direction of an audiologist.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, and participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in audiology.
- Assist audiologists in performing aural procedures, such as real ear measurements, speech audiometry, auditory brainstem responses, electronystagmography, and cochlear implant mapping.
- Demonstrate assistive listening devices (ALDs) to clients.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ISR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2015, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $45,720 with most people making between $39,740 and $59,750
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 94 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 110 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 14 replacement openings for approximately 16 total annual openings.