Provide prenatal care and childbirth assistance.
- Certified Midwife
- Certified Professional Midwife
- Certified Professional Midwife, Licensed Midwife
- Direct-Entry Midwife
- Director of Midwifery/Staff Midwife
- Homebirth Midwife
- Lay Midwife
- Licensed and Certified Midwife
- Licensed Direct Entry Midwife
- Licensed Midwife
- Monitor maternal condition during labor by checking vital signs, monitoring uterine contractions, or performing physical examinations.
- Monitor fetal growth and well-being through heartbeat detection, body measurement, and palpation.
- Identify, monitor, or treat pregnancy-related problems such as hypertension, gestational diabetes, pre-term labor, or retarded fetal growth.
- Provide necessary medical care for infants at birth, including emergency care such as resuscitation.
- Establish and follow emergency or contingency plans for mothers and newborns.
- Identify tubal and ectopic pregnancies and refer patients for treatments.
- Perform post-partum health assessments of mothers and babies at regular intervals.
- Maintain documentation of all patients' contacts, reviewing and updating records as necessary.
- Assess the status of post-date pregnancies to determine treatments and interventions.
- Counsel women regarding the nutritional requirements of pregnancy.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $67,140 with most people making between $27,330 and $117,600
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 339 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 28 openings due to growth and about 68 replacement openings for approximately 96 total annual openings.