Control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
- Apparatus Operator
- Fire Alarm Operator
- Fire Apparatus Engineer
- Fireboat Operator
- Fire Captain
- Fire Chief
- Fire Chief's Aide
- Fire Engineer
- Fire Equipment Operator
- Search burning buildings to locate fire victims.
- Rescue victims from burning buildings, accident sites, and water hazards.
- Administer first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation to injured persons.
- Dress with equipment such as fire-resistant clothing and breathing apparatus.
- Assess fires and situations and report conditions to superiors to receive instructions, using two-way radios.
- Move toward the source of a fire, using knowledge of types of fires, construction design, building materials, and physical layout of properties.
- Respond to fire alarms and other calls for assistance, such as automobile and industrial accidents.
- Create openings in buildings for ventilation or entrance, using axes, chisels, crowbars, electric saws, or core cutters.
- Drive and operate fire fighting vehicles and equipment.
- Take action to contain hazardous chemicals that might catch fire, leak, or spill.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RSE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $46,760 with most people making between $25,140 and $72,180
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,717 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 153 openings due to growth and about 498 replacement openings for approximately 651 total annual openings.
- Radiation Therapists
- Radiologic Technologists
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Radiologic Technicians
- Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Forest Firefighters
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Patrol Officers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Pilots, Ship