Guide or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as streets, schools, railroad crossings, or construction sites.
- Adult Crossing Guard
- Community Service Officer
- Community Service Officer Coordinator
- Construction Site Crossing Guard
- Crossing Flagman
- Crossing Gateman
- Crossing Guard
- Crossing Tender
- Crossing Watchman
- Draw Tender
- Direct or escort pedestrians across streets, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Guide or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as street and railroad crossings and construction sites.
- Monitor traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross streets.
- Communicate traffic and crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
- Direct traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
- Distribute traffic control signs and markers at designated points.
- Report unsafe behavior of children to school officials.
- Stop speeding vehicles to warn drivers of traffic laws.
- Learn the location and purpose of street traffic signs within assigned patrol areas.
- Record license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals, and report infractions to appropriate authorities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $28,720 with most people making between $19,860 and $49,120
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 15 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 14 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Funeral Attendants
- Couriers and Messengers
- Postal Service Mail Carriers