Perform a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Cafeteria Aide
- Caterer Helper
- Catering Assistant
- Chicken and Fish Butcher
- Coffee Brewer
- Coffee Maker
- Cold Meat Cook
- Crew Mess Attendant
- Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Operate cash register, handle money, and give correct change.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Portion and wrap the food, or place it directly on plates for service to patrons.
- Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Prepare a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
- Keep records of the quantities of food used.
- Place food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or store them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Package take-out foods or serve food to customers.
- Stock cupboards and refrigerators, and tend salad bars and buffet meals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $20,390 with most people making between $16,670 and $26,110
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,189 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 108 openings due to growth and about 610 replacement openings for approximately 718 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Packers and Packagers, Hand