Welcome patrons, seat them at tables or in lounge, and help ensure quality of facilities and service.
- Greet guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- Provide guests with menus.
- Assign patrons to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, to respond to complaints, or to make conversation.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries or transfer calls.
- Take and prepare to-go orders.
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages.
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and customers to ensure that dining details are handled properly and customers' concerns are addressed.
- Inspect dining and serving areas to ensure cleanliness and proper setup.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of dining room staff to ensure that patrons receive prompt and courteous service.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $19,990 with most people making between $16,790 and $24,630
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,381 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 51 openings due to growth and about 980 replacement openings for approximately 1,031 total annual openings.