Attend to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions. Perform a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play.
- After School Counselor
- Assistant Teacher
- Au Pair
- Baby Attendant
- Before and After School Daycare Worker
- Boarding Mother
- Bus Escort
- Bus Matron
- Maintain a safe play environment.
- Dress children and change diapers.
- Observe and monitor children's play activities.
- Provide care for mentally disturbed, delinquent, or handicapped children.
- Communicate with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
- Keep records on individual children, including daily observations and information about activities, meals served, and medications administered.
- Sanitize toys and play equipment.
- Care for children in institutional setting, such as group homes, nursery schools, private businesses, or schools for the handicapped.
- Operate in-house day-care centers within businesses.
- Support children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $20,850 with most people making between $16,600 and $27,850
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,027 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 555 openings due to growth and about 1,188 replacement openings for approximately 1,743 total annual openings.