Lay and install carpet from rolls or blocks on floors. Install padding and trim flooring materials.
- Inspect the surface to be covered to determine its condition, and correct any imperfections that might show through carpet or cause carpet to wear unevenly.
- Roll out, measure, mark, and cut carpeting to size with a carpet knife, following floor sketches and allowing extra carpet for final fitting.
- Join edges of carpet and seam edges where necessary, by sewing or by using tape with glue and heated carpet iron.
- Cut and trim carpet to fit along wall edges, openings, and projections, finishing the edges with a wall trimmer.
- Plan the layout of the carpet, allowing for expected traffic patterns and placing seams for best appearance and longest wear.
- Stretch carpet to align with walls and ensure a smooth surface, and press carpet in place over tack strips or use staples, tape, tacks or glue to hold carpet in place.
- Take measurements and study floor sketches to calculate the area to be carpeted and the amount of material needed.
- Install carpet on some floors using adhesive, following prescribed method.
- Clean up before and after installation, including vacuuming carpet and discarding remnant pieces.
- Measure, cut and install tackless strips along the baseboard or wall.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $52,290 with most people making between $27,950 and $78,280
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 91 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 103 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 12 total annual openings.
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Construction Laborers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders