Perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble, debris and other waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
- Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.
- Clean or prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Load, unload, or identify building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications.
- Measure, mark, or record openings or distances to layout areas where construction work will be performed.
- Install sewer, water, or storm drain pipes, using pipe-laying machinery or laser guidance equipment.
- Operate or maintain air monitoring or other sampling devices in confined or hazardous environments.
- Mix ingredients to create compounds for covering or cleaning surfaces.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, or compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, or rakes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $45,060 with most people making between $27,340 and $67,620
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,887 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 628 openings due to growth and about 975 replacement openings for approximately 1,603 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors