Install glass in windows, skylights, store fronts, and display cases, or on surfaces, such as building fronts, interior walls, ceilings, and tabletops.
- Art Glass Setter
- Automobile Glass Technician
- Commercial Glazier
- Glass Fitter
- Glass Glazier
- Glass Inserter
- Glass Installer
- Glass Mechanic
- Glass Setter
- Confer with customers to determine project requirements or to provide cost estimates.
- Fabricate or install metal sashes or moldings for glass installation, using aluminum or steel framing.
- Determine plumb of walls or ceilings, using plumb lines and levels.
- Select the type or color of glass or mirror according to specifications.
- Fasten glass panes into wood sashes or frames with clips, points, or moldings, adding weather seals or putty around pane edges to seal joints.
- Prepare glass for cutting by resting it on rack edges or against cutting tables and brushing thin layer of oil along cutting lines or dipping cutting tools in oil.
- Grind or polish glass, smoothing edges when necessary.
- Measure and mark outlines or patterns on glass to indicate cutting lines.
- Cut, fit, install, repair, or replace glass or glass substitutes, such as plastic or aluminum, in building interiors or exteriors or in furniture or other products.
- Install pre-assembled metal or wood frameworks for windows or doors to be fitted with glass panels, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $53,580 with most people making between $31,430 and $77,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 117 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 17 replacement openings for approximately 23 total annual openings.
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Construction Laborers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Printing Press Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators