Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings. Work may involve any of the following: setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; or inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces. Includes sheet metal duct installers who install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes.
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the construction or assembly of sheet metal products.
- Determine project requirements, such as scope, assembly sequences, or required methods or materials, using blueprints, drawings, or written or verbal instructions.
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material such as roofing panels, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, or rulers.
- Fasten seams or joints together with welds, bolts, cement, rivets, solder, caulks, metal drive clips, or bonds to assemble components into products or to repair sheet metal items.
- Develop or lay out patterns, using computerized metalworking equipment.
- Trim, file, grind, deburr, buff, or smooth surfaces, seams, or joints of assembled parts, using hand tools or portable power tools.
- Fabricate ducts for high efficiency heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to maximize efficiency of systems.
- Select gauges or types of sheet metal or nonmetallic material, according to product specifications.
- Maneuver completed roofing units into position for installation.
- Finish parts, using hacksaws or hand, rotary, or squaring shears.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $58,500 with most people making between $28,590 and $96,550
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 522 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 47 openings due to growth and about 112 replacement openings for approximately 159 total annual openings.
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators