Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Measure, cut, thread and assemble new pipe, placing the assembled pipe in hangers or other supports.
- Cut or drill holes in walls or floors to accommodate the passage of pipes.
- Perform rough-ins, repair and replace fixtures and water heaters, and locate, repair, or remove leaking or broken pipes.
- Assist pipe fitters in the layout, assembly, and installation of piping for air, ammonia, gas, and water systems.
- Install gas burners to convert furnaces from wood, coal, or oil.
- Cut pipe and lift up to fitters.
- Fit or assist in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
- Requisition tools and equipment, select type and size of pipe, and collect and transport materials and equipment to work site.
- Mount brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes, and set sleeves or inserts to provide support for pipes.
- Excavate and grade ditches, and lay and join pipe for water and sewer service.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $44,440 with most people making between $24,130 and $76,690
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 23 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 29 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 5 replacement openings for approximately 6 total annual openings.
- Construction Laborers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors