Repair, maintain, or install computers, word processing systems, automated teller machines, and electronic office machines, such as duplicating and fax machines.
- Accounting Machine Mechanic
- Adding Machine Mechanic
- Assembly Technician
- ATM Servicer
- ATM Technician (Automated Teller Machine Technician)
- Bookkeeping Machine Mechanic
- Business Machine Mechanic
- Calculating Machine Mechanic
- Cash Register Mechanic
- Cash Register Servicer
- Reassemble machines after making repairs or replacing parts.
- Converse with customers to determine details of equipment problems.
- Disassemble machines to examine parts, such as wires, gears, or bearings for wear or defects, using hand or power tools and measuring devices.
- Advise customers concerning equipment operation, maintenance, or programming.
- Repair, adjust, or replace electrical or mechanical components or parts, using hand tools, power tools, or soldering or welding equipment.
- Align, adjust, or calibrate equipment according to specifications.
- Travel to customers' stores or offices to service machines or to provide emergency repair service.
- Maintain parts inventories and order any additional parts needed for repairs.
- Reinstall software programs or adjust settings on existing software to fix machine malfunctions.
- Operate machines to test functioning of parts or mechanisms.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $41,900 with most people making between $26,520 and $60,340
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 372 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 72 replacement openings for approximately 74 total annual openings.
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Agricultural Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
- Freight and Cargo Inspectors