Inspect, test, repair, or maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
- Apparatus Lineman
- Corrosion Control Fitter
- Corrosion Technician
- Electrical and Instrumentation Technician (E & I Technician)
- Electrical Maintenance Mechanic
- Electrical Technician
- Gear Technician
- Generating Station Mechanic
- Generator Mechanic
- Instrument and Control Technician (I & C Technician)
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance.
- Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
- Analyze test data to diagnose malfunctions, to determine performance characteristics of systems, or to evaluate effects of system modifications.
- Open and close switches to isolate defective relays, performing adjustments or repairs.
- Notify facility personnel of equipment shutdowns.
- Construct, test, maintain, and repair substation relay and control systems.
- Test insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, testing current, and calculating insulation loss.
- Repair, replace, and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes, and commutators.
- Schedule and supervise the construction and testing of special devices and the implementation of unique monitoring or control systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $68,030 with most people making between $42,020 and $85,890
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 33 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 37 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 3 replacement openings for approximately 4 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Commercial Divers
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gas Plant Operators