Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames.
- Antique Automobiles Repairer
- Auto Body Builder Apprentice
- Auto Body Customizer
- Auto Body Detailer
- Auto Body Man
- Auto Body Mechanic
- Auto Body Mechanic Apprentice
- Auto Body Painter
- Auto Body Repairer
- Auto Body Repairman
- Follow supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore or replace and how much time the job should take.
- Review damage reports, prepare or review repair cost estimates, and plan work to be performed.
- Inspect repaired vehicles for proper functioning, completion of work, dimensional accuracy, and overall appearance of paint job, and test drive vehicles to ensure proper alignment and handling.
- Sand body areas to be painted and cover bumpers, windows, and trim with masking tape or paper to protect them from the paint.
- Fit and weld replacement parts into place, using wrenches and welding equipment, and grind down welds to smooth them, using power grinders and other tools.
- Prime and paint repaired surfaces, using paint sprayguns and motorized sanders.
- Remove damaged sections of vehicles using metal-cutting guns, air grinders and wrenches, and install replacement parts using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Chain or clamp frames and sections to alignment machines that use hydraulic pressure to align damaged components.
- Fill small dents that cannot be worked out with plastic or solder.
- File, grind, sand, and smooth filled or repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $44,330 with most people making between $23,300 and $65,580
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 652 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 114 openings due to growth and about 150 replacement openings for approximately 264 total annual openings.
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders