Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Ammonia Refrigeration Technician
- Bulk Coolers Installer
- Commercial Service Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning Mechanic (HVAC Mechanic)
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning / Refrigeration Technician (HVAC / R Technician)
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning Service Technician (HVAC Service Technician)
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning Technician (HVAC Technician)
- HVAC Mechanic (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Mechanic)
- HVAC/R Service Technician (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning/Refrigeration Service Technician)
- Adjust valves according to specifications and charge system with proper type of refrigerant by pumping the specified gas or fluid into the system.
- Observe and test system operation, using gauges and instruments.
- Test lines, components, and connections for leaks.
- Dismantle malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts and reassemble repaired systems.
- Braze or solder parts to repair defective joints and leaks.
- Perform mechanical overhauls and refrigerant reclaiming.
- Keep records of repairs and replacements made and causes of malfunctions.
- Install expansion and control valves, using acetylene torches and wrenches.
- Install wiring to connect components to an electric power source.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $51,350 with most people making between $32,160 and $76,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 969 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 105 openings due to growth and about 148 replacement openings for approximately 253 total annual openings.
- Pest Control Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Commercial Divers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gas Plant Operators