Install and repair telecommunications cable, including fiber optics.
- Aerial Installer
- Block Cableman
- Broadband Technician
- Cable Inspector
- Cable Installer
- Cable Layer
- Cable Mechanic
- Cable Repairer
- Cable Splicer
- Set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment.
- Explain cable service to subscribers after installation and collect any installation fees that are due.
- Travel to customers' premises to install, maintain, or repair audio and visual electronic reception equipment or accessories.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- Place insulation over conductors or seal splices with moisture-proof covering.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension.
- Clean or maintain tools or test equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $45,220 with most people making between $28,300 and $72,170
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 474 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 87 replacement openings for approximately 87 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Power Plant Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators