Perform technical activities at power plants or individual installations necessary for the generation of power from geothermal energy sources. Monitor and control operating activities at geothermal power generation facilities and perform maintenance and repairs as necessary. Install, test, and maintain residential and commercial geothermal heat pumps.
- Control Operator
- Control Room Operator (CRO)
- Corrosion Technician
- Distribution Field Technician
- Geothermal Field Technician
- Geothermal HVAC Technician (Geothermal Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning Technician)
- Geothermal Installer
- Geothermal System Installer
- Geothermal Technician
- Ground Source Heat Pump Technician (GSHP Technician)
- Identify and correct malfunctions of geothermal plant equipment, electrical systems, instrumentation, or controls.
- Monitor and adjust operations of geothermal power plant equipment or systems.
- Adjust power production systems to meet load and distribution demands.
- Collect and record data associated with operating geothermal power plants or well fields.
- Prepare and maintain logs, reports, or other documentation of work performed.
- Install and maintain geothermal plant electrical protection equipment.
- Maintain electrical switchgear, process controls, transmitters, gauges, and control equipment in accordance with geothermal plant procedures.
- Maintain, calibrate, or repair plant instrumentation, control, and electronic devices in geothermal plants.
- Determine whether emergency or auxiliary systems will be needed to keep properties heated or cooled in extreme weather conditions.
- Test water sources for factors such as flow volume and contaminant presence.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $46,080 with most people making between $18,920 and $72,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 675 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 35 openings due to growth and about 103 replacement openings for approximately 138 total annual openings.