Cut, trim, or prepare consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
- Prepare and place meat cuts and products in display counter, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper's eye.
- Wrap, weigh, label, and price cuts of meat.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Total sales, and collect money from customers.
- Estimate requirements and order or requisition meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Record quantity of meat received and issued to cooks or keep records of meat sales.
- Supervise other butchers or meat cutters.
- Cure, smoke, tenderize and preserve meat.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $34,000 with most people making between $21,130 and $49,710
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 548 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 37 openings due to growth and about 108 replacement openings for approximately 145 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Short Order
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators