Set up, operate, or tend machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
- Computer Numerical Control Operator (CNC Operator)
- Core Extruder
- Core Shaper
- Drawbench Operator
- Draw Machine Operator
- Equipment Technician
- Extruder Operator
- Extruding Press Adjuster
- Extruding Press Operator
- Extrusion Operator
- Measure and examine extruded products to locate defects and to check for conformance to specifications, adjusting controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Start machines and set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Reel extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Clean work areas.
- Weigh and mix pelletized, granular, or powdered thermoplastic materials and coloring pigments.
- Test physical properties of products with testing devices such as acid-bath testers, burst testers, and impact testers.
- Load machine hoppers with mixed materials, using augers, or stuff rolls of plastic dough into machine cylinders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $33,880 with most people making between $21,720 and $49,620
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 335 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 83 replacement openings for approximately 83 total annual openings.
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators