Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, milling and engraving machines, and jig borers to make working models of metal or plastic objects. Includes template makers.
- Study blueprints, drawings, and sketches to determine material dimensions, required equipment, and operations sequences.
- Inspect and test products to verify conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments or circuit testers.
- Drill, countersink, and ream holes in parts and assemblies for bolts, screws, and other fasteners, using power tools.
- Cut, shape, and form metal parts, using lathes, power saws, snips, power brakes and shears, files, and mallets.
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, drill presses, punch presses, or bandsaws, to fabricate prototypes or models.
- Devise and construct tools, dies, molds, jigs, and fixtures, or modify existing tools and equipment.
- Rework or alter component model or parts as required to ensure that products meet standards.
- Grind, file, and sand parts to finished dimensions.
- Program computer numerical control (CNC) machines to fabricate model parts.
- Lay out and mark reference points and dimensions on materials, using measuring instruments and drawing or scribing tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
Kansas City, MO-KS projection information is not available
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation