Construct, decorate, or repair leather and leather-like products, such as luggage, shoes, and saddles.
- Back Shoe Cutter
- Backshoe Person
- Belt Maker
- Bench Hand
- Boot and Saddle Repair Person
- Boot Maker
- Boot Repairer
- Bottom Cementer
- Dress and otherwise finish boots or shoes, as by trimming the edges of new soles and heels to the shoe shape.
- Estimate the costs of requested products or services such as custom footwear or footwear repair, and receive payment from customers.
- Attach insoles to shoe lasts, affix shoe uppers, and apply heels and outsoles.
- Cement, nail, or sew soles and heels to shoes.
- Cut out parts, following patterns or outlines, using knives, shears, scissors, or machine presses.
- Construct, decorate, or repair leather products according to specifications, using sewing machines, needles and thread, leather lacing, glue, clamps, hand tools, or rivets.
- Shape shoe heels with a knife, and sand them on a buffing wheel for smoothness.
- Repair or replace soles, heels, and other parts of footwear, using sewing, buffing and other shoe repair machines, materials, and equipment.
- Make, modify, and repair orthopedic or therapeutic footwear according to doctors' prescriptions, or modify existing footwear for people with foot problems and special needs.
- Repair and recondition leather products such as trunks, luggage, shoes, saddles, belts, purses, and baseball gloves.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 19 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 20 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 1 replacement openings for approximately 1 total annual openings.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Floor Sanders and Finishers
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Fabric Menders, Except Garment
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators