Construct full-size and scale wooden precision models of products. Includes wood jig builders and loft workers.
- Architectural Wood Model Maker
- CAD Technician (Computer Aided Drafting Technician)
- Jig Builder
- Last Model Maker
- Loft Worker
- Loft Worker Apprentice
- Model Builder
- Model Maker
- Verify dimensions and contours of models during hand-forming processes, using templates and measuring devices.
- Read blueprints, drawings, or written specifications, and consult with designers to determine sizes and shapes of patterns and required machine setups.
- Set up, operate, and adjust a variety of woodworking machines such as bandsaws and planers to cut and shape sections, parts, and patterns, according to specifications.
- Fit, fasten, and assemble wood parts together to form patterns, models, or sections, using glue, nails, dowels, bolts, screws, and other fasteners.
- Trim, smooth, and shape surfaces, and plane, shave, file, scrape, and sand models to attain specified shapes, using hand tools.
- Select wooden stock, determine layouts, and mark layouts of parts on stock, using precision equipment such as scribers, squares, and protractors.
- Construct wooden models, patterns, templates, full scale mock-ups, and molds for parts of products and production tools.
- Mark identifying information on patterns, parts, and templates to indicate assembly methods and details.
- Plan, lay out, and draw outlines of units, sectional patterns, or full-scale mock-ups of products.
- Fabricate work aids such as scrapers or templates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RAC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
Kansas City, MO-KS projection information is not available
- Rough Carpenters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Patternmakers, Wood
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators