Set up, operate, or tend machines, such as glass forming machines, plodder machines, and tuber machines, to shape and form products, such as glassware, food, rubber, soap, brick, tile, clay, wax, tobacco, or cosmetics.
- Adjust machine components to regulate speeds, pressures, and temperatures, and amounts, dimensions, and flow of materials or ingredients.
- Press control buttons to activate machinery and equipment.
- Examine, measure, and weigh materials or products to verify conformance to standards, using measuring devices such as templates, micrometers, or scales.
- Activate machines to shape or form products, such as candy bars, light bulbs, balloons, or insulation panels.
- Monitor machine operations and observe lights and gauges to detect malfunctions.
- Notify supervisors when extruded filaments fail to meet standards.
- Clear jams, and remove defective or substandard materials or products.
- Record and maintain production data, such as meter readings, and quantities, types, and dimensions of materials produced.
- Select and install machine components, such as dies, molds, and cutters, according to specifications, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Review work orders, specifications, or instructions to determine materials, ingredients, procedures, components, settings, and adjustments for extruding, forming, pressing, or compacting machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $36,220 with most people making between $23,580 and $56,820
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 192 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 193 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 5 openings due to growth and about -4 replacement openings for approximately 1 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders