Operate or tend heating equipment other than basic metal, plastic, or food processing equipment. Includes activities, such as annealing glass, drying lumber, curing rubber, removing moisture from materials, or boiling soap.
- Veneer Redrier
- Veneer Drier
- Varnish Melter
- Varnish Maker
- Vacuum Furnace Operator
- Vacuum Drier Tender
- Vacuum Drier Operator
- Utility Operator
- Unit Operator
- Monitor equipment operation, gauges, and panel lights to detect deviations from standards.
- Confer with supervisors or other equipment operators to report equipment malfunctions or to resolve production problems.
- Press and adjust controls to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
- Record gauge readings, test results, and shift production in log books.
- Stop equipment and clear blockages or jams, using fingers, wire, or hand tools.
- Read and interpret work orders and instructions to determine work assignments, process specifications, and production schedules.
- Load equipment receptacles or conveyors with material to be processed, by hand or using hoists.
- Examine or test samples of processed substances, or collect samples for laboratory testing, to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Remove products from equipment, manually or using hoists, and prepare them for storage, shipment, or additional processing.
- Calculate amounts of materials to be loaded into furnaces, adjusting amounts as necessary for specific conditions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $33,650 with most people making between $18,650 and $52,570
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 30 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 33 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 3 total annual openings.
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators