Shape molten glass according to patterns.
- Artificial Glass Eye Maker
- Blow Molder
- Bottle Blower
- Fiber Glass Worker
- Glass Bender
- Glass Block Bender
- Glass Block Installer
- Place glass into dies or molds of presses and control presses to form products, such as glassware components or optical blanks.
- Spray or swab molds with oil solutions to prevent adhesion of glass.
- Heat glass to pliable stage, using gas flames or ovens and rotating glass to heat it uniformly.
- Inspect, weigh, and measure products to verify conformance to specifications, using instruments such as micrometers, calipers, magnifiers, or rulers.
- Blow tubing into specified shapes to prevent glass from collapsing, using compressed air or own breath, or blow and rotate gathers in molds or on boards to obtain final shapes.
- Operate electric kilns that heat and mold glass sheets to the shape and curve of metal jigs.
- Determine types and quantities of glass required to fabricate products.
- Set up and adjust machine press stroke lengths and pressures and regulate oven temperatures, according to glass types to be processed.
- Record manufacturing information, such as quantities, sizes, or types of goods produced.
- Shape, bend, or join sections of glass, using paddles, pressing and flattening hand tools, or cork.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $31,960 with most people making between $22,000 and $41,140
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 48 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 51 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 3 total annual openings.
- Electro-Mechanical Technicians
- Camera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture
- Radiologic Technicians
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Model Makers, Wood