Drive bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. May assist passengers with baggage. May collect fares or tickets.
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride.
- Park vehicles at loading areas so that passengers can board.
- Advise passengers to be seated and orderly while on vehicles.
- Inspect vehicles and check gas, oil, and water levels prior to departure.
- Assist passengers, such as elderly or disabled individuals, on and off bus, ensure they are seated properly, help carry baggage, and answer questions about bus schedules or routes.
- Record information, such as cash receipts and ticket fares, and maintain log book.
- Handle passenger emergencies or disruptions.
- Collect tickets or cash fares from passengers.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Report delays or accidents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $39,770 with most people making between $25,110 and $56,910
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 150 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 14 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 34 total annual openings.
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Pest Control Workers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Subway and Streetcar Operators
- Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Conveyor Operators and Tenders