Drive a light vehicle, such as a truck or van, with a capacity of less than 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), primarily to deliver or pick up merchandise or to deliver packages. May load and unload vehicle.
- Bulk Delivery Driver
- Car Escort
- Delivery Driver
- Delivery Person
- Directory Carrier
- Distributor of Directories
- Distributor Operator
- Obey traffic laws and follow established traffic and transportation procedures.
- Turn in receipts and money received from deliveries.
- Read maps and follow written or verbal geographic directions.
- Verify the contents of inventory loads against shipping papers.
- Load and unload trucks, vans, or automobiles.
- Drive vehicles with capacities under three tons to transport materials to and from specified destinations, such as railroad stations, plants, residences, offices, or within industrial yards.
- Maintain records, such as vehicle logs, records of cargo, or billing statements, in accordance with regulations.
- Inspect and maintain vehicle supplies and equipment, such as gas, oil, water, tires, lights, or brakes, to ensure that vehicles are in proper working condition.
- Present bills and receipts and collect payments for goods delivered or loaded.
- Report any mechanical problems encountered with vehicles.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $37,550 with most people making between $20,010 and $62,390
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,444 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 124 openings due to growth and about 586 replacement openings for approximately 710 total annual openings.
- Couriers and Messengers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Nursery Workers
- Helpers--Extraction Workers
- Rail Car Repairers
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers