Supervise or coordinate activities of crew aboard ships, boats, barges, or dredges.
- Able Bodied Seaman (AB Seaman)
- Able Bodied Tankerman (AB Tankerman)
- Boatswain's Mate
- Deck Cadet
- Deck Engineer
- Dock Hand
- Dredge Mate
- Ferry Terminal Agent
- First Mate
- Stand watches on vessels during specified periods while vessels are under way.
- Assume command of vessels in the event that ships' masters become incapacitated.
- Steer vessels, using navigational devices, such as compasses or sextants, or navigational aids, such as lighthouses or buoys.
- Determine geographical positions of ships, using lorans, azimuths of celestial bodies, or computers, and use this information to determine the course and speed of a ship.
- Inspect equipment, such as cargo-handling gear, lifesaving equipment, visual-signaling equipment, or fishing, towing, or dredging gear, to detect problems.
- Observe loading or unloading of cargo or equipment to ensure that handling and storage are performed according to specifications.
- Participate in activities related to maintenance of vessel security.
- Arrange for ships to be stocked, fueled, or repaired.
- Supervise crew members in the repair or replacement of defective gear or equipment.
- Supervise crews in cleaning or maintaining decks, superstructures, or bridges.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 12 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be 14 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 2 total annual openings.
- Transit and Railroad Police
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters
- Motorboat Operators