Operate and tend bridges, canal locks, and lighthouses to permit marine passage on inland waterways, near shores, and at danger points in waterway passages. May supervise such operations. Includes drawbridge operators, lock operators, and slip bridge operators.
- Bridge Crew Member
- Bridge Leverman
- Bridge Opener
- Bridge Operator
- Bridge Operator, Slip
- Bridge Saw Operator
- Bridge Tender
- Chief Lock Tender Operator
- Crossing Tender
- Check that bridges are clear of vehicles and pedestrians prior to opening.
- Move levers to activate traffic signals, navigation lights, and alarms.
- Turn valves to increase or decrease water levels in locks.
- Stop automobile and pedestrian traffic on bridges, and lower automobile gates prior to moving bridges.
- Record names, types, and destinations of vessels passing through bridge openings or locks, and numbers of trains or vehicles crossing bridges.
- Raise drawbridges and observe passage of water traffic, then lower drawbridges and raise automobile gates.
- Control machinery to open and close canal locks and dams, railroad or highway drawbridges, or horizontally or vertically adjustable bridges.
- Direct movements of vessels in locks or bridge areas, using signals, telecommunication equipment, or loudspeakers.
- Prepare accident reports.
- Observe approaching vessels to determine size and speed, and listen for whistle signals indicating desire to pass.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately -1 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be -1 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about -1 replacement openings for approximately -1 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Segmental Pavers
- Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Tire Builders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Subway and Streetcar Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors